Apple Muffin Recipe
This classic cinnamon apple combination is loved by all
Quick easy apple muffins, sample recipe from Kelly Rudnicki's Vegan Baking Classics, a mainstream vegan cookbook.
This mouth-watering muffin with the classic cinnamon apple combination, is loved by all, a favorite at brunches, for snacks, or for a quick dessert.
Although egg-free and dairy-free, this apple muffin recipe is most definitely a dessert recipe - sweet, light, and delectable.
Total prep & cook time: 35 min
Nutrition Data Per Serving, 79 g: 149 calories, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fat, 236 mg sodium, 1 g dietary fiber, 3 g protein, very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol, good source of Phosphorus. Estimated glycemic load: 21
- 4 Tbsp dairy free margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup soy or rice milk
- Optional: Add 1 Tbsp lemon juice to the soy milk for a total of 1 cup
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp gr. Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups diced, peeled apples, divided (1/2 inch dice)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp gr. Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F., and spray a 12 cup muffin pan with dairy free baking spray.
- Combine the melted margarine, applesauce and soy milk with a mixer or whisk.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, the 1 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, and the 1/2 cup sugar, with a wire whisk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the apple mixture, and stir by hand with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Fold in the 1 cup chopped apple. Do not overmix.
- Using a cookie scooper, fill the prepared muffin cups with batter, and top each with a few pieces of diced apple.
- Combine the 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Sprinkle the mixture over the muffins.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean, or until firm for the touch.
- Frozen Tip: Freeze extra muffins for later by placing them in a resealable freezer bag. Label with name and date, and freeze for up to 2 months.
Make these apple muffins healthier and more substantial by substituting part whole grain flour, reducing the sugar, and using unbleached organic cane sugar. They will be heavier and less dessertish.
Use a crisp but sweet apple for this apple muffin recipe. It works best if the apples don't turn to mush. Chop the apple in small cubes, no more than 1/2 inch square.
The only change we made to this muffin recipe was to add 1 Tbsp of lemon juice to the soy milk, keeping the total liquid at 1 cup, for more leavening power.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us