Muffin Recipe: Apple Raisin Spice Muffins
Quick, Easy, Healthy, Apple Muffin Recipe, Sweet & Moist
Applesauce raisin muffin recipe: Quick and easy to make, healthy to eat, moist & delicious!
This apple muffin recipe is not overly sweet, perfect for breakfast or brunch, with soups or salads, or as a tasty snack.
Add chopped walnuts to make these muffins even healthier and tastier!
Total Prep And Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Nutrition Data, 97g Serving (vegan): 245 cal, 9g fat, 71 cal from fat, 41g carb, 193mg sodium, 18g sugars, 3g fiber, 4g protein, low cholesterol. Estimated Glycemic Load 23
- 1 c unbl wh flour
- 1 c wh wheat, spelt or barley flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- GF Option: 1 3/4 cups all purpose gf flour mix + 1 tsp xanthan gum + 1 tsp baking soda + 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp gr nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup thick unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 c brown sugar OR coconut sugar OR 60 drops liquid stevia
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup Thompson raisins
- Vegan Option:
- 1/4 c sunflower or safflower seed oil
- 1 Tbsp egg replacer + 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Ovo Lacto Option:
- 1/2 c melted butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Lightly oil a 12 cup muffin pan or use paper cup liners
- Soak the raisins in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain through a seive and set aside (in the seive)
- Mix the flour, spices & salt in a separate, large bowl
- Vegan: Beat all liquids together, including applesauce, non-dairy milk, egg replacer, oil, sugar OR stevia if using.
- Ovo Lacto: Beat all liquids together, including applesauce, milk, eggs, butter, sugar OR stevia if using.
- Add the wet ingredients and raisins to the dry ingredients with minimal light mixing - a few quick strokes, don't mind lumps
- Spoon evenly into the muffin cups
- Bake for 25 min, middle of the oven, until lightly browned & firm to the touch
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes
- Run a knife around the edges of the muffins & turn them out on the rack
- Cool for a few more minutes, then EAT THEM! Yummmhhh!
Use all whole grain flour if you like - the muffins will be more solid and dense.
We used homemade applesauce for our muffins, because apples were in season and we just happened to have made applesauce. You don't need to do that - unless you want to! Any good quality unsweetened applesauce will do.
Another secret to the sweet moistness of these muffins, besides the applesauce, is 'plumping' the raisins in hot water before adding.
Use any combination of dried fruit: chopped dates, figs, prunes or apricots; dried cranberries, cherries or currants
Applesauce raisin spice muffins freeze well. Pull them out of the freezer the night before for a quick healthy breakfast with no prep time.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us