Beat the Blahs Black Bean Patties
Tasty, Quick & Easy, Bean Recipe: Black Bean & Mashed Potato Patties
Beat the Blahs Black Bean Patties are a perfect match for Pasta with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce, and a crisp, colorful salad.
Even if you're not vegan or unplugged, you'll enjoy quick easy recipes like this test recipe from Vegan Unplugged, using canned & packaged foods.
Total Prep and Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
Nutrition Data, 249 g serving: 293 cal, 53g carb, 4g fat, 218mg sodium, 12g fiber, 12g protein; low Cholesterol; good source Vit K, Folate. Estimated glycemic load 21
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced white potatoes, drained
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 Tbsp dehydrated minced onion (or 1/4 cup minced fresh onion – sauté in a little oil until soft)
- 1 tsp dried parsley (or 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley)
- 3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs (or 1/2 cup quick oatmeal)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl, mash the potatoes and beans with a potato masher until well mashed
- Add the onion, parsley, breadcrumbs (or oatmeal), and salt and pepper to taste
- Mix well until combined
- Divide the mixture into 6 (or 12) equal portions and use your hands to shape into patties
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Cook the patties until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot with your favorite sauce
Savvy Veg Recipe Tips:
Since we weren't unplugged, I cooked my potatoes, and used frozen black beans which I thawed on the stove.
If you have them on hand, use fresh onion sautéed until soft, and fresh parsley. I didn't have breadcrumbs, so I used 1/2 cup quick oatmeal - it worked like a charm.
These tasty patties can be served with a variety of sauces. Spicy peanut sauce works great, and so does salsa or barbecue sauce. We used organic ketchup, preferred by discriminating children everywhere!
Robin's recipe says it makes 6 patties, but we stretched it out to a dozen smaller patties.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us