Vegan Butter Tarts
Butter Tarts, the Perfect Holiday or Everyday Dessert Recipe!
If butter tarts are one of your pre-vegan favorite desserts, or a comfort food from childhood, you'll love these vegan butter tarts.
Butter Tarts are perfect for a holiday buffet, because they qualify as finger food (at least for me), and are much easier to serve than pie or cake, as each tart is an individual serving. They're also easy to store, and freeze.
Vegan butter tarts are easy to make, and you can buy prepared pie crust to save time.
Total prep & cook time: 1 hr 15 min
Nutrition Data, 30g Serving (1 tart): 124 cal, 18g carb, 6g fat, 68mg sodium, 0g fiber, 14g Sugars, 1g protein, low Cholesterol, good source Manganese. Estimated glycemic load - 11
- Make one double recipe of vegan pie crust or gluten free vegan pie crust, adding 2 Tbsp unbleached cane sugar.
- Form it into two 6 inch wide discs, then cover and chill it for at least 20 minutes
- Roll each disc out on a floured surface, 1/8 inch thick, and cut a total of twenty-four 3 3/4 - 4 inch rounds using a glass or cup, a jar lid, or a cookie cutter.
- Place in 2 1/2 inch muffin tins and refrigerate for 15 minutes. The dough may not reach all the way up the sides of the cups, but that's ok.
- 3/4 cup raisins soaked in hot water for 15 minutes and drained
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp Ener G egg replacer
- 3/4 cup organic corn syrup or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp rum extract (use 1 Tbsp vanilla extract if you don't have rum extract)
- 1/2 cup melted Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread
- Optional: 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp total amount of raisins and walnuts in each prepared tart shell
- Beat together egg replacer, syrup, vinegar, vanilla, cornstarch, sugar and salt
- Stir in the melted vegan butter
- Pour 1 Tbsp filling into each tart shell. Do not overfill - half full is enough as the filling expands in baking
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the filling is just set. Cool in the muffin pans for a few minutes, then remove and place on a cooling rack.