BEST Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe Ever!
Savvy Veg Cabbage Soup for Weight Loss + Delicious, Healthy Eating
We don't recommend the cabbage soup diet - BUT if you want a low cal, filling, nourishing vegan meal, here it is.
Our cabbage soup diet recipe has it all: oil, protein, carbs, fiber, vitamins, minerals - and approximately 1200 - 1300 TOTAL calories. That's just over 200 calories per serving.
Don't try to live on cabbage soup! At least not for more than a day or two. You'll get VERY tired of it!
But this soup is perfect for a light eating day.
Total Prep & Cook Time: 1 hr
Yield: 6 large servings
Nutrition Data, 280 g Serving: 213 cal, 39 g carb, 3g fat, 312mg sodium, 9 g fiber, 10 g protein, low Cholesterol, good source Vit A, C, K, Folate. Estimated glycemic load 17
Cabbage Soup Ingredients:
- 6 cups water or soupstock
- 1/3 cup brown rice or pearl barley (or 1 cup cooked br. rice or barley)
- One 2 inch piece kombu seaweed
- 2 cans Great Northern beans, pinto beans or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 can each of two kinds of bean)
- Note: If you want to cook your own beans, see the directions below
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & minced OR a pinch of hing (asefetida)
- 1 Tbslp minced fresh ginger, or 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 small head green cabbage, cut in half lengthwise, cored and cut in thin strips
- Note: For variety, substitute savoy or napa cabbage, or 1 bunch kale or collard greens. Remove stems and chop in thin strips
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- Optional: 2 cups diced potato, peeled or not
- 1/2 tsp dried ground fennel
- 1/2 tsp gr cumin
- 1 tsp gr coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried basil or rosemary (a sprig
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaf
- 1 16 oz can crushed tomatoes, or 2 cups tomato sauce or 4 oz can tomato paste
- Optional: 1 cup frozen peas or beans (for added color)
- 1 - 2 Tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Add the grain to the water or stock, with the kombu, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, cover, and turn down to simmer
- Prep the veggies
- Heat the oil on medium in an 8 - 10 quart pan
- Add the fresh garlic (if using), and ginger to the oil, sauté for a minute
- Add the veggies and sauté 5 minutes on med/high heat
- Add the herbs and spices, sauté briefly
- Add veggie mixture to the soup
- Drain and rinse the beans, then add to the soup
- Add the tomatoes, and bring back to a boil
- Simmer 20 min - 1/2 hour, until veggies are tender and the grain is cooked
- Add salt, pepper, Braggs or soy sauce, and minced fresh parsley
Bean Cooking Directions:
- Note - This makes enough beans for a second batch, to freeze, or make a double soup recipe. Using a pressure cooker greatly reduces cooking time, but don't omit the soaking!
- Soak 1 c. of beans: 12 hours for garbanzos, 8 hours for white beans, 4 hours for pinto or kidney beans
- Use hot water & change several times to cut soaking time in half
- Drain & rinse the soaked beans, cover with cold water to cover, and bring to a boil
- Boil ten minutes, and skim the foam
- Cover and simmer for 1 - 2 hours, until very tender
If you add the optional potatoes, that will up the total calories to about 1500 - about 250 calories per large serving. So go wild! Add potatoes.
Note that there are no onions in this recipe - they're major gas producers, potent in combination with beans and cabbage. Try to use some gas reducing ingredients in your soup: kombu seaweed, bay leaf, hing (asefetida), fennel, cumin, ginger.
This cabbage soup diet recipe adapts very well to a crockpot. Just throw everything in at once, put it on low, come home from work and eat.
If you don't have all the ingredients for cabbage soup, feel free to omit and substitute - that's what soup is all about!
Our cabbage soup recipe goes well with a salad, bread and hummus, and makes a great start to a full meal.
Note: If you're going to soak and cook beans, it's worth making extra, to freeze in small amounts for future meals.
More bean cooking tips and directions