Vegan Lemon Cake Recipe
Delicious Yellow Cake With Lemon Curd Filling & Lemon Frosting
Vegan Lemon Cake: yellow cake recipe with lemon curd filling and lemon frosting.
This is an ideal birthday cake recipe, but vegan lemon cake is perfect for any special occasion. Everybody loves it - adults, kids, vegans, vegetarians, omnivores, carnivores!
Total Prep And Cook Time: 75 Minutes
Nutrition Data, 56g Serving: 168 Calories, 26g carb, 6g fat, 164mg sodium, 1g fiber, 2g protein, 10g Sugars, low Cholesterol. Estimated glycemic load 18.
Lemon Cake Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup vegan margarine (we used organic Earth Balance)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups white flour
- 3 Tblsp cornstarch
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk, soy, or other non-dairy milk
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
Lemon Cake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter and flour a 9 x 12” pan or 2 9” round cake pans
- Mix almond milk and lemon juice and set aside to curdle
- Cream butter and sugar
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Add dry ingredients, almond milk mixture, and lemon zest to butter mixture
- Mix all ingredients together until just blended
- Spread the batter evenly in the pan(s) and bake 35 to 45 minutes until slightly golden in color and firm in the center. The 9 x 12 pan will take longer to bake than the 9” rounds
- Remove from pans and cool on racks
- Chill cake and all ingredients
- Spread lemon curd between the 2 layers, then ice with the lemon frosting
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut or sprinkles as desired
Lemon Frosting Ingredients:
- Makes enough for one 9” layer cake
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 3-4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Lemon Frosting Directions:
- Using a hand-held mixer cream together margarine and zest until smooth
- Sift the icing sugar into the mixture through a medium strainer and mix it in
- Gradually beat in lemon juice 1 Tbsp at a time, stopping when the icing has reached the right consistency for spreading
- Refrigerate in an air tight container until needed. Allow to soften before using
Lemon Curd Ingredients:
- Makes 1 cup
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 Tblsp cornstarch
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 6 Tbsp unflavored almond milk
- 1 Tbsp vegan margarine
Lemon Curd Directions:
- Whisk together lemon juice, water, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon zest in a saucepan
- Place on the stove on medium heat and continue to whisk until the mixture comes to a boil
- Allow mixture to boil for 1 minute without stirring
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in almond milk and margarine
- Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate in an airtight container for 8 hours or overnight before using
The lemon curd filling should be refrigerated overnight. So it's a good idea to make the cake, frosting and lemon curd a day ahead, then assemble the cake the next day.
We spread shredded coconut over the frosting, but colored sprinkles would be equally good and especially appealing to children.
We baked it as a sheet cake, which we cut in half, then layered. You could also make it in round layer cake pans.
Your lemon cake reciepe was delicious...it was the 1st cake my some ate and enjoyed that I made for him...Thank you for sharing...Connie S.
>Wonderful Lemon Cake recipe!!!! - Jennifer Z.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us