Easy Chickpea Gravy Recipe
Tasty, low fat, gluten free vegan gravy, for holiday or everyday meals
Chickpea Gravy: Tasty, low fat, gluten free, great for dressing up vegetarian or vegan thanksgiving recipes or everyday meals without adding a lot more calories.
Delicious with baked tofu, lentil loaf, mashed potatoes, stuffing. We also enjoy it over Tofu Veggie Stir Fry.
Total Prep and Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4.5 Cups or 8 Servings
Nutrition Data Per Serving: 47 cal, 3g carb, 4g fat, 128mg sodium, 1g protein, 0 g fiber. Low cholesterol. Estimated glycemic load 1
- 2 - 3 Tbsp olive oil or other cooking oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced garlic (2 - 3 cloves) OR 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried ginger powder
- 1 tsp gr. coriander
- 1/2 tsp gr. cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable stock OR 2 veggie bouillon cubes dissolved in 4 cups boiling water)
- 1/2 cup chick pea flour (besan)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
- Dissolve the veggie cubes in simmering water
- Heat olive oil in a heavy saucepan on medium-low
- Sauté the garlic and ginger in the oil until it starts to brown
- Add chick pea flour & spices and stir for 5 minutes
- The flour and spices will start to brown and form a thick paste with the oil
- Gradually add the veggie broth, stirring constantly with a whisk
- Cook until thickened, add soy sauce or Braggs, salt & pepper to taste
You can find chickpea or besan flour in the ethnic food section of grocery stores, or at an Indian food shop, or online. It's kind of an essential ingredient, but if you can't find it, use white wheat or spelt flour.
Chick peas are considered gluten free, but they may contain caseine. You could also use almond, quinoa or amaranth flour in this recipe.
Chickpea gravy will thicken up in cooking. Add more vegetable stock as needed, until it seems the right thickness.
Save any extra chickpea gravy for the holiday leftovers - an important part of the tradition!
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us