Millet Chickpea Patties or Veggie Burger Recipe
Quick easy millet recipe, make as patties, falafels or veggie burgers
Tasty Millet Chickpea Patties or Veggie Burgers: Quick easy recipe with cooked millet and chickpeas, combined with veggies, spices and a binder. Delicious!
Enjoy this millet chickpea recipe as patties served solo, or in a wrap with cucumber, avocado, and sauce or spread.
Or prepare as veggie burgers, served with or without bun and your favorite burger fixings, or falafel size to eat in pita bread with tzatziki sauce and veggies.
Total Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings (12 small or 8 large patties)
Nutrition Data, 142g serving: 269 cal, 33g carb, 11g fat, 104mg sodium, 7g fiber, 10g protein, 4g Sugars; low Cholesterol, low Sodium; good source Vit K, Folate, Manganese. Estimated glycemic load 14
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (15 oz can, drained, reserve liquid)
- 1 cup cooked millet
- 1/2 cup cilantro, parsley or basil leaves
- 1.5 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced onion OR 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 tsp gr. coriander
- 1 tsp gr. cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne or to taste
- 3 Tbsp chickpea flour (substitute wheat flour if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup water, stock, or chickpea cooking liquid
- 1 Tbsp Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce
- Optional: 1/4 cup shredded carrot (1 small carrot)
- Optional: 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Process the chickpeas, millet and fresh herb in a food processor until crumbly OR mash the chickpeas by hand, mince the herb, then combine with the cooked millet in a large bowl
- Heat the oil on medium low in a saute pan
- Add raw minced onion (or celery) and saute until softened
- Add minced garlic and saute 1 minute
- Add spices and saute 1 minute (add onion & garlic powders at this point if you are substituting them)
- Add chickpea flour, stir and cook 5 minutes
- Add water or other liquid and stir with a whisk until the mixture forms a thick paste
- Stir in Braggs or soy sauce and tahini
- Add the paste to a bowl with the millet and chickpea mixture and grated carrots
- Mix well, using your hands to form the mixture into a dough
- Heat a frying pan on medium
- Form the millet chickpea dough into 12 patties or 16 falafels or 8 veggie burgers
- Add oil to the pan and fry on both sides until golden (about 5 minutes each side)
I am not an onion or garlic fan, so I left those out. But they add needed moisture, so that's why the celery and shredded carrot are suggested as options.
Also add carrot & celery if you want to substitute garlic and onion powder.
If you don't have chickpea flour, white wheat flour will work also. The optional toasted sunflower seeds add a nice crunch if you have them on hand.
These tasty patties can be served with a variety of sauces or spreads. We enjoyed them with vegan mayo and basil parsley pesto, which we usually have on hand.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us