Easy Japanese Tofu Soba Noodle Soup
Buckwheat noodles with tofu, shitake mushrooms, spinach, bok choy
Tofu Soup Recipe sample recipe from 'Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons' by Nava Atlas.
Serve this delicious Japanese tofu noodle soup Asian-style. Slurp the noodles from the broth with chopsticks, then use an Asian soup spoon to scoop up what's left.
Total Prep And Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Nutrition Data, 281g Serving: 173 cal, 35g carb, 1g fat, 887mg sodium, 2g fiber, 9g protein, low Cholesterol, good source Vit C, A, K, Folate, Magnesium. Estimated glycemic load 21
- One 8 ounce package soba (buckwheat) noodles
- One 32 ounce carton low-sodium vegetable broth
- 6 to 8 medium-sized shitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 2 Tbsp reduced-sodiuim soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp natural granulated sugar
- 2 to 3 tsp minced fresh ginger, to taste
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces soft or firm tofu
- 8 to 10 ounces fresh spinach, well washed, stemmed, and chopped
- Optional: 1 cup chopped baby bok choy, tatsoi, or mizuna
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Break the noodles in half and cook them in a large saucepan according to package directions until al dente, then drain. Rinse briefly with cool water
- Meanwhile,combine the broth, mushrooms, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and ginger in a soup pot. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes
- Stir in the scallions, tofu, spinach, and optional bok choy. Cover and cook until the spinach is wilted but still bright green, about 3 minutes
- Stir in the noodles. Add about two cups additional water, or enough to give the soup a dense but not overly crowded consistency. Season with pepper and additional soy sauce if needed. Heat through and serve at once
- Serve this delicious Japanese tofu noodle soup Asian-style. Slurp the noodles from the broth with chopsticks, then use an Asian soup spoon to scoop up what's left.