Easy Tasty Hearty Lentil Black Bean Stew
Black beans, lentils and Veggies for an ideal cold weather soup
Technically this is a bean soup recipe, but it's so thick and hearty we had to call it a stew. Whatever you call it, it's an easy meal in a bowl.
Complementary flavors of black beans and lentils, with potatoes, cabbage, carrots and celery, make a satisfying lunch or supper on an early spring day, with a spring green salad and focaccia bread.
Lentil Black Bean Stew featured on SV Blog, one of 10 High Protein Vegan Recipes!
Total prep & cook time: 1 hr 20 min
Nutrition Data, 188g Serving: 239 calories, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fat, 237 mg sodium, 15g fiber, 13g protein, low saturated fat & cholesterol, good source Thiamin & Manganese, Vit. A, B6, C, K, Folate, Iron, Potassium. Estimated glycemic load: 15.
- 1 cup dry lentils OR 2 cans lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked black beans, OR 1 16 oz can, drained and rinsed
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 unsalted vegan bouillon flavor cube
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or other cooking oil
- 2 med. carrots, peeled & diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/4 head green cabbage, chopped in 1 - 2 inch pieces
- 1 tsp thyme leaf
- 3/4 cup low sodium spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Soak lentils 4 - 8 hours in cold unsalted water OR quick soak 1 hour starting with boiling hot water
- Drain, add 4 cups of cold water, add bay leaf, whole garlic cloves, and unsalted veggie cube. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour, or cook 5 hours on low in a crockpot
- Heat the oil in a large soup pan on medium low
- Chop the veggies, and sauté with thyme leaf for 5 minutes
- Add the lentils, cooking liquid, and black beans to the vegetables (remove the garlic cloves and bay leaf)
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add spaghetti sauce, salt and pepper to taste,and heat on medium for 5 more minutes
- Add minced parsley and serve
Slow Cooker or Crockpot Directions:
- Slow Slow Cooking: Throw everything in the crockpot, set the heat on low, cover and cook for 6 - 8 hours. Add the spaghetti sauce, salt & pepper and parsley at the end of cooking
- Quick Slow Cooking: Sauté veggies & spices as above, transfer to pre-heated crockpot with hot cooked lentils + cooking liquid + black beans. Simmer 2 - 3 hours on low. Cooking times vary with crockpot size and make. Add the spaghetti sauce, salt & pepper and parsley at the end of cooking
We used spaghetti sauce from a jar, and a veggie bouillon cube as our flavor mainstays for this soup. We cooked dry lentils and used up some black beans left over from cooking Cuban Black Beans and Rice.
It's easy to cook beans or lentils because you can soak them overnight, then throw them in the crockpot or simmer on the stove and they don't need much tending. Since we had some leftover pizza dough we whipped up focaccia bread.
But if it's crunch time, just buy a loaf of bread and some pre-washed salad greens, open a few cans, and have 20 minutes total prep time and 20 minutes cook time.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us