Vegan Variation On Mexican Restaurant Spanish Rice - But So Much Better!
Thanks to Todd Grimes for this Spanish Quinoa recipe. We made a few minor changes, but his directions made perfect sense.
Todd's Easy Vegan Spanish Quinoa Recipe is a variation on the Spanish rice served in Mexican restaurants - but it's so much better!
Worlds apart, really, because that's rice and this is quinoa.
Total Prep & Cook Time: 30 Min
Nutrition Data, 123g Serving: 261 cal, 42g carb, 7g fat, 198mg sodium, 6g fiber, 9g protein, low Cholesterol, good source Folate, Magnesium. Estimated glycemic load 23
- 2 c quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- OR: 1 bunch green onions, chopped (white part)
- 1/2 - 1 tsp chili powder or paprika
- Optional: 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Optional: 1/2 tsp oregano
- Optional: 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Optional: 1/4 cup sliced olives
- Optional: pinch cayenne
- 1 - 8 oz. can of unsalted tomato sauce
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley leaves to garnish
- Sauté the onion over medium heat until onion starts to become translucent
- Add the garlic to the onion and sauté a few more minutes until the onion is translucent and garlic is turning golden
- Add optional pinch of cayenne or chili powder
- Add quinoa and stir constantly for 3 - 4 minutes
- Add tomato sauce and vegetable broth stirring occasionally until mixture begins to boil
- Add salt if needed - veggie broth and tomato sauce may already be salted
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes
- Turn heat off and let sit for 5 - 10 minutes
- Fluff with a fork and serve garnished with cilantro
Although classed as a grain, quinoa (keen-wah) is technically an herb. It's perishable because of its oil content, and should be stored in the fridge.
Quinoa is light, delicious, high protein, easy to cook. It can be used in place of rice, bulgar, or couscous. More quinoa info & tips
More Mexican Inspired Recipes: